Thursday, August 28, 2014

40 Really IS Fabulous!

WOOOOW! Yesterday was my 40th Birthday and I feel like I'm officially in the Grown Woman's Club! I don't have to leave the room when grown-ups are talking...LOL.

Now in case you have not noticed, I don't mind telling you my age. I'm proud of this milestone...especially since I look 27! I've earned this position and I understand that reaching this mile marker is truly a blessing (not everyone gets this far). 

Of course I've been refelecting on my life and I want to share with you some things I've learned along the way:

1. I'm the most important person in my life! I've learned that I cannot be of any good use, for any good length of time, to anyone if I am not at my best. I can't love others while harbouring low self-esteem. I can't take care of anyone if I'm not healthy. I can't serve with integrity when I have neglected my own needs. I am my best for others when I have first taken time to do what I need to do for me. I've learned to put the oxygen mask on myself first.

2. My life is not my own. The things that I experience, the circumstances I witness and even the trials that I face are not only about me or for my life alone. Sometimes, I have to go thru it to be of service to someone else. I've stopped moaning and groaning about life's discomfort...I get intrigued about how it will work out. My dear friend +Tanya King-Lee says everything is either a lesson or a blessing...sometimes it's mine and sometimes it's for me to pass on.

3. My husband +Bobby Barrett is the next most important person to me. I'm developing the habit of letting him know how much he means to me. I know every mother reading this just gasped and held their heart...it's ok, I know how you feel. I felt the same way but what I found was the created doesn't become more important than the creator. We made our kids together so I won't lower his position, at no point does he become less significant. I feel it's my responsibility to teach our kids how important their father is...to me and to them! Even when Bobby and I were seperated, I wanted them to know that without him, there is no them...literally! It has always been important that there is a certain level of respect for him in our home; my kids will respect no one if they do not respect their father. Relationally and spititually, my husband is my other half. It is him that makes me whole (not the kids).


4. Without faith, it is impossible to please God! I officially come out and declare that I believe in God. Jesus provides me salavation, it is by my faith I am saved from my sin and I am sanctified by the Holy Spirit of God! I believe the Bible is the most profound book in all of history and everyone should read it at least once on their life, no matter what they believe. I know that's not popular to say but at this age I'm not trying to win votes...LOL! No matter what happens or doesn't happen in this life, I always maintain my hope for a better future! There has been soo many failures, soo many goals I didn't achieve, soo many opportunities missed but through it allll, I've learned to trust in God! 

5. If it's important, it's worth fighting for. I will not allow apathy to take root! I will fight for everything and everyone that matters. My values and beliefs are important, I will not sit quietly in the corner. 

6. Freedom of speech only works when you actually open your mouth! I've learned to speak from my heart and mind...not from my emotions or whims. Good, bad or somewhere in between; saying what needs to be said is the most honest way to live. My heart is never rude or malicious but remaining silent can be worse...especially when speaking up can resolve a bigger situation. I know the truth can hurt but it can also heal. 

7. My kids are not me. It's my job to train them up in faith, not train them up oppositie of how I was raised and then use them to correct the wrongs of my own childhood. It's my job to correct and guide them to be compassionate, prodcutive members of society. Using them to live out my dreams or living out my missed opportunites through their achievements requires a prescription and an appointment on the couch...in other words, it's crazy!

8.  The past is the past. No matter the abuse, the heartache and the disappointments, I get to choose my today and tomorrows. I have learned that nothing good comes from living in the past. I have found the power I have to choose forgiveness, choose to be better and choose my attitude about it all. It's up to me...no one and nothing can take that away. Nothing can take away my power to choose!

9. One day I will die. I've learned that to live also means to one day not live. When that day comes, I want my leagacy to be that I loved the Lord with all my heart and it was evident in the life I lived and in how I treated people. On that day, I will pass the baton of faith and prayer for my next generation to add to their legacy! When I think about how I want it to be on that day, it reminds me how I need to live this day. It gives me the confidence to live out loud, say what needs to be said and to love people enough to stand in the gap for them!

This first 40 years of my life has been incredibly interesting...rarely a dull moment! I'm blessed beyond measure...my family and friends are the BEST! I imagine the next 40 years will be amazing and although I've learned a lot, I plan to remain green and continue growing. I have a lot of work ahead of me and the fun has just begun! 

What have you learned??? 
If you're already 40 (or over) share with us some of your lessons. Comment below: 

No comments:

Post a Comment