Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Are You Ready To Die???

It's not quite what you think...put away your insurance policy. 
I recently saw the amazing Broadway Musical, "I Have A Dream" about the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It was emotional and inspiring...a whole new perspective on the man behind the dream.
There was a quote from the production that stuck with me, 
"a man who won't die for something is not fit to live". WOW...it instantly had me taking a mental assessment on what I'm willing to die for! My Faith...my Family...my Beliefs...our Freedom...our Justice!
I shared the thought with my daughter +Cassandra Barrett who reminded me of the BEST commercial of 2013 featuring heroic women! Check it out here:

The one who stood out the most to me is the youngest one featured...Malala Yousafzai! At 12 years old she was writing a blog on her views promoting education for girls and the rule 
of the Taliban in her region. When she was 15 years old, she
was shot in the head on her school bus as an assassination attempt. 9 months later, she spoke at the United Nations to call for worldwide access to education; especially for girls! Can you say "WOW"...what conviction.
Here's a young girl ready to die, not only for her own beliefs but also for the rights of those who would come after her. She didn't spend her time whining about the injustice...she spoke up and did something! She followed in her father's footsteps of protesting against the Taliban, even after many backed down because it became dangerous! 
So many times in my life I've witnessed people who were too timid or afraid to stand up for their own personal well being. They gripe about how someone else intimidated or pressured them when basically they just lacked courage to stand up. I know I mentioned something along these lines before but it bears repeating with more bass in my voice (or in my words)! What are you willing to die for??? (comment below) 
What do you believe in so strongly you would risk your safety? 
Men have gut instincts and women have intuition...will you vow to listen? Will you promise to advocate for our children instead of reluctantly going along with the doctor, teacher or psychiatrist? Will you be willing to die to selfishness, pride, fear, hopelessness, weakness and indifference to make your world (immediate surroundings) better? 
In a culture that relies so heavily on "the experts", it's ok to also listen to the loudest voice in your head...your OWN!
Are you ready?
"I AM MALALA"

No comments:

Post a Comment